Thursday, June 5, 2014

Dover Results: Monster Johnson... that was my nickname in college... thank you...thank you very much... BOOM! Confetti!!


Well, slap my ass and call me Fat Penguin!  We have a new team locked into the Chase boys and girls (my wife sometimes reads this…).  Check out the win column and you’ll see that Mr. Meat… I mean Dr. Beef is now safely in the Chase.  Take a look at all of the 2’s in that column as well.  

Let’s get to it.

Top Picks:
Well lookie here… JJ is NOT in as much trouble as everyone was saying.  Idiots.  The naysayers not these guys à Piston, Dust, Pursuit, Asleep, Ideal, Shepard, and Beef all took the back to back race winner Johnson.  Piston gets on the board with his 1st win and climbs up to 4th.  Dust, Pursuit, and Asleep, go 3 wide into turn 2!  All jumping up a spot (7th, 8th and 8th) and getting their 2nd win.  WOW!  Only 4 points separating these teams as they battle for that final qualifying spot, and I’m sure they will be looking to climb way past 7th as they eye their 3rd wins.  Ideal (10th), Shepard (11th) and Beef (12th) are also taking it three wide, and only 10 points are separating these guys.  Ideal gets win #1 and jumps 2 spots.  Shepard gets win #2 and jumps 2 spots.  While Beef jumps 3 spots and more importantly gets win #3 as stated in the opening dialogue.  I told you he would be just fine as he was doing that free fall down the leaderboard.  I hope you like it well done cause y’all did it well!

Penguin took pole sitter and runner up Keselowski.  I hoped that he would have been able to start on the front row on that last caution and try to battle Johnson for the lead, but it was not meant to be.  But I’ll take the points and I like the 2 spot jump into 2nd place.

Chonk “This is why I’m Hot” Motorsports took Truex Jr who finished 6th.  Who would've known that this Jersey Boy would have been such a solid pick this week???  Chonk, that’s who.  His lock on 1st place got a little tighter as he increases his lead from 26 points to 37 points. 

Kiss had a nice 7th place finish from Stewart.  He stays in 6th, but has a swarm of teams within 8 points on his tail.  But if you take a look at that win column, you’ll see a nice fat 2 over there… he’ll be just fine I’m predicting.

Graziano and Rowdy also had a nice finish by the 8th place #22 car of Logano.  Graz stays in 3rd and Rowdy stays in 16th, but both teams are very much in the Championship picture as we start the second half of our race to the Chase.


Eh:
A-Game took Rookie Kyle Larson who finished 11th.  I obviously love this kid (Larson not A-Game… although I probably would also love A-Game if I knew him better).  He just continues to impress.  I don’t know about you folks, but I have been looking for a driver to replace my Burton and Martin picks for about two seasons now.  Stenhouse hasn’t been consistent enough and Truex Jr. has been struggling… he was fine this week of course… f*cking Chonk.  I don’t know why I have to be angry all the time…


 
And we're back... 

My point is:  I think Larson is that driver.  I hope he continues to kick ass and become one of the studs of NASCAR in the years to come.
A-Game is still in his Talladega mode sitting back in pack and waiting for the big one.  Then he will need to come on strong in these last 13 races before the Chase.  Wins?  Points?  I guess we’ll see…

Rusty’s pick of Gordon (15th) ran well and in the top 10 all race, but faded towards the end and seemed to be lucky to hang on and get the 15th place finish.  Rusty drops 2 spots, but only 37 points back from 7th.  Oh yeah… and he too has 2 wins. 

Rasta took a strong looking #4 car of Kevin Harvick (17th).  But a flat tire forced him to play catch up the entire second half of the race.  Rasta drops a spot to 15th, and our defending Champ is in a situation where he needs to start getting wins and/or make up the 46 point gap and grab that 7th place spot if he wants a chance to repeat as Champ.


DOOTW:
Skidmarks (Newman, 31st ) gets our Dutch Oven Award this week.  Newman had transmission issues that kept him from being a contender.  Skid drops from 2nd to 5th, but he is already a Chase qualifier.  I look for him to rebound and get back towards the lead during the 2nd half of the Race to the Chase.


BSOTW:
Damn it Empty!  It was just last week when I was talking about your wonderful race… getting that 1st win and jumping up 3 spots to grab the 7th place spot.  I was actually kicking myself for picking Kyle Busch last week and not this week.  He wins the Truck race.  He wins the Nationwide race.  He starts on the front row in 2nd and leads the first 20-30 or so laps.  A weekend sweep looked like the lock of the century… Not so fast.  Bowyer (f*cking Bowyer!) decided or his spotter decided that it would be a good idea to do a slide job on him for 2nd (I think) and wrecking Kyle into the wall just past the ¼ point in the race… causing much poo to fly all over Empty’s bed with this 42nd place finish.  Empty drops 7 (holy sh*t) spots and is now down to 14th; 41 points away from 7th.  Brutal week, but there is a lot of time to bounce back.  


Other Ramblings:
GO SPURS GO!!!

Pocono on Sunday… Will Johnson get another one???  I’ll be at the coast doing a little kitesurfing but will try to post drivers before we hit the beach on Sunday if everyone gets them in.

I hope it goes like this...


And not this...




Hey look… I know it’s still early.  We still have 13 races until the Chase begins and already 24% of the league has qualified for the Chase.  Beef joins the lucky few… Empty drops out of a qualifying spot… Dust jumps in that spot… a number of teams are close to the cut line (both above and below).  It just goes to show you how quickly things can change in this league.  I don’t know, but I can only imagine that you would sleep better if you had a GREEN 3+ in your win column.  Am I right Beef, Rowdy, Skid, and Chonk????

I personally hope that all teams are able to qualify for the Chase this year, and then we just shoot it out in the last 10 races.  But if you take a look at last year, only 10 of the 16 teams would have qualified on wins alone.  Only 1 team in the top 6 had less than 3 wins… only 6 qualifying spots would be available last year versus 7 this year… and 5 additional teams would have qualified as Wild Cards.  So 11 teams would have fought it out for last year’s title… 

2013 Final Standings


Now I know that strategies most likely would have been different given the new rules, but I feel it is my job as the commissioner of this league to provide as much insight as possible as we embark on this journey into uncharted territory… even though it is probably meaningless and wrong, and most likely will be of no help to anyone.

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment